Batteries, just like any other equipment, require to be serviced. You cannot use tools without maintaining them because you will end up shortening their lifespan. Therefore, it is good to have the habit of servicing our batteries well.
The process of battery maintenance is much more straightforward than any other process of maintenance that you know. I always ensure that I service my car battery at least once every month. And for that reason, I have a battery that has been working perfectly for five years.
The primary importance of this activity is that you extend the lifespan of your battery. Your battery will continue giving you extra years of service if you take good care of it.
There was a friend of mine who never cared about the health of his battery. One morning the battery decided to go for a strike; thus, the car failed to start, and he was late for work. He called me, and I rushed for his rescue.
When I opened the bonnet, I noticed that the battery had some whitish substance. There was some liquid on the surface of the battery, and the battery terminals were so thin. This was the effect of failing to service the battery. He had to buy a new battery because the condition of the battery was worse.
Therefore, let us look at the maintenance practices in batteries. I can assure you they are much simpler and will not take much of your time.
Do batteries need maintenance?
Yes, almost all battery types need maintenance, starting from the phone batteries to vehicle batteries. However, the good thing is that they require very little maintenance that can be managed by everyone.
However, some batteries require minimal maintenance to a level that they appear maintenance free. Also, there are maintenance-free batteries that can be used with or without any maintenance at all. Therefore, it is good to know the type of battery that you have.
The routine inspection and maintenance of batteries include:
- Check the battery's state of charge. Most batteries have indicators that show the battery's state of charge and gives an on-spot diagnosis of the battery condition. The most reliable method of checking the state of charge is using a voltmeter to stabilize the voltage. You can use a hygrometer to find the electrolyte's specific gravity only if the cabs are removable.
- Always ensure that the top side of the battery is clean and free from any moisture. It should also be free of grime because of a dirty battery discharge across the grime on top of the battery casing.
- If you are using a maintainable battery, always check if the battery has adequate electrolyte covering the plates. If the electrolyte needs to be topped up, ensure that you top it up to the right level. Top up using distilled water and do not add sulphuric acid.
- You should check the battery's casing for any signs of physical damage or warpage. The presence of physical damage indicates overcharging or overheating.
- Apply a thin coating of petroleum jelly or high-temperature grease to the battery's terminals and cable connections. This prevents corrosion and rusting that can be caused by moisture.
- Inspect the terminals, clamps, screws, and cables for any form of breakage, damage, or loose connections. They should all be clean, tight, dry, and free from corrosion.
- If you have batteries used in seasonal applications, you should fully recharge before storing them for long. You should not forget to check the battery regularly after storing it. If the voltage falls below 12.5 volts, recharge the battery immediately.
- In case the battery starts to store energy for a short period, consider replacing it immediately to avoid any problems.
The most maintenance-free battery has no filler gaps on the top. This means that the batteries cannot be topped up. However, few maintenance-free batteries can be topped up. Therefore, you should take care of the maintenance-free battery according to its design.
The inside of a free-maintenance battery cannot be serviced, but that does not mean that the outside cannot be serviced. Therefore, you can perform the following maintenance practices on a free maintenance battery;
- Please remove the battery from its location and examine them for any cracks or other damage. If the battery is damaged, then you should replace it immediately.
- Clean the battery's terminals, clamps, cables, and screws. You should also check the clamps and cables for any damage. Replace damaged cables and clamps so that you can avoid short-circuiting. Remove the corrosion on the cables and the terminals because they eat up the metals easily. You can remove the corrosion by adding a tablespoon of baking soda to a cup of water and stirring it to mix. Then pour the solution into the corrosion to dissolve it.
- Spray the cables appropriately using the battery terminal protectant. If battery terminal protection is not available, you can use high-temperature grease or petroleum jelly. This will help prevent damage to the clamps and cables caused by corrosion.
How much does it cost to service a battery?
Servicing a battery does not require any skills. You can do everything by yourself at home. You can disconnect the battery from your car and start to clean it without any knowledge.
When disconnecting your battery, start with the negative terminal before disconnecting the positive terminal. You should do the cleaning in an open place to avoid inhaling any gases that might be emitted when dissolving the corrosion.
However, if you need expert help, it will not cost you are a lot to service a battery. The amount ranges from $ 10 to $50. Nevertheless, considering that the work won’t take over 30 minutes, it is good to do it at home, and you can consult the internet in case of any difficulty.
I think you can now extend the lifespan of your battery by servicing it more frequently. You should check the battery even when you do not think it is the right time to service it. The good thing is that servicing the battery won’t waste a lot of your time.
The cost of replacing a battery is much higher than the cost of replacing a battery. Therefore, you can choose the cost that you will like to incur.
Why do some batteries last longer than others?
Due to several aspects and factors, some batteries last longer than other batteries, they, are:-
Low battery fluid status or degree, swelling, bloating, leakage of batteries and obsolete age or outdated of batteries, or also for the above-stated factors like- run time, shelf life and cycle life.
Various batteries have distinctive features which affect their longevity that comprises of:- Primary cells like alkaline cell will endure for an extremely long time as it doesn’t lose its charge soon, so it could persist for several years, whereas rechargeable battery will discharge itself in several months or within a year.
But rechargeable batteries can give out an ample amount of current and better performance. So if one prefers a high current application a rechargeable battery is a good option than primary cells. So, there are several circumstances where some batteries are adequate and better than others, and not only these batteries last longer than other ones for above-stated reasons.
Besides this, if the battery is taken proper care of and along with adequate maintenance or supervision then the battery will last longer.
How do you make batteries more reliable and longer-lasting?
With proper care, maintenance, and sustenance battery may have a longer life. Yes, there are certain tasks and chores to be accomplished to make battery life lengthier, they are:-
For lead-acid car batteries:
Prevention of short trips may maintain the battery's longevity with this one should curtail down the use of power while the ignition is off, one should not abandon the car unused for long periods.
Besides this one should keep away the batteries from exposure to heat, also one should keep the battery tidy and clean and one should thoroughly examine the battery's voltage once a month.
For inverter batteries:
These kinds of batteries should be filled up with water to the maximum level mark and the inverter batteries should be kept away from the corrosion otherwise it performance can be affected if it will be kept in close contact with the atmosphere.
Besides, this the battery should be stocked in a cool place with a temperature that doesn’t exceed above 30 degrees Celsius. Terminals of the batteries should be applied with petroleum jelly to avoid corrosion and oxidation.
This battery should be charged in two or three hours instead of a prolonged fast hour of charge and one should prevent rigorously and erratic dischargers, and also it is adequate not to drain full charge.
One should always check battery usage and also prefer partial discharge cycles, with this one should determine and select the correct charge termination method.
Not only these things one should restrict the battery temperature, and also one should avert high charge and discharge currents.
Most important thing is that one should keep the battery away from high temperature as due to the high-temperature battery can lose their performance.
Lithium cadmium batteries and alkaline batteries:
These batteries require care for better performance. So, one should store it at an adequate temperature and one should keep it away from heat exposure. If this battery is taken proper care of then it can last for around five years.
Nickel-cadmium cells are good options for usage, but it requires good and consistent care. So if it’s care is ensured one can reap and enjoy its benefits.
So there are some tasks to be performed and some steps to be taken and measured for better longevity and life of batteries, they are:-
All kinds of batteries should be kept away from the exposure of heat and the batteries should be also kept away from oxidation, and it should be checked that the leakage of batteries. Yes if a battery has leakage then it may hamper the electronic devices and chargeable batteries should not be overcharged because overcharging may hamper the batteries and may lessen the life and longevity of the battery.
By taking these measures batteries can be made more reliable.
One should opt. for a new battery if the battery's performance is weak and shaky.
There are different circumstances for different batteries. Yes, for car batteries, when the headlights are dim and the ignition is not functioning properly, then it is the right time for buying a new battery for the car.
For mobile phone cell:-
When the phone is unable to keep a charge and when the phone is getting hot, that is the time when one should change his/her battery of the phone. And also he /she should check the leakage of the battery for the longevity of the phone.
For inverter battery:-
When the inverter is unable to keep charge after filling water in it, then one should alter the battery.
Moreover, the inverter's battery should be changed around four to five years.
lithium-ion battery e-bike battery lithium battery