Some machines need batteries to start only but run on fuel. Therefore, due to this characteristic, battery manufacturers had to develop ways to improve people's lives using such machines.
It will be a waste of resources to use other battery types on such machines. A few people use the starter batteries because a few people know about starter batteries. It is good to educate people on the types of batteries that are available in the market.
I have been using a starter battery for about three years now, and it still works perfectly. It can start the car or machine at once because they are designed to do so. Therefore, you need to know the types of devices that need this type of battery.
However, this review will help you know what a starter battery is, the effects of a bad starter on your battery, and the cost of starter batteries. Therefore, stay tuned and follow me through. I am sure you will get the best out of this article.
What is a starter battery?
You can get the hint from its name. A starter battery is a battery used to turn on or start up machines such as cars, commercial vehicles, tractors, etc. The main work of this battery is to start the engine of the machine.
Starter batteries offer a peak capacity over a short period, and the battery cannot withstand long hours of use because of its design. If the battery is used for an extended period, it will quickly go flat, causing some defects.
The good thing with starter batteries is that they discharge about 20 percent of their energy after a single start. They are then recharged by the alternator on the engine and made ready for the next startup exercise.
For continuous electrical drives that require a lot of energy, starter batteries are not recommended. Such machinery requires either semi-traction, deep-cycle, or traction batteries. The starter battery has an electrical system with a single-pole and uses the chassis and engine casing as a conductor.
Most starter batteries are 12 volts, and they are designed for carbon dioxide reducing functions start/stop and regenerative charging. The battery is also made to support the functionality of the car's different systems.
Several factors affect the service life and function of the starter battery. These factors include the number of starts, discharging, driving style, driving conditions, climatic conditions, etc. You should never disconnect the starter battery when the engine is running.
However, the battery can produce oxyhydrogen gas that is highly flammable and explosive. The battery can explode if the jump lead is not connected correctly. The jump leads should never be connected to any fuel component or any moving parts.
A bad battery starter is among the main reasons we end up replacing batteries frequently. However, it is hard to diagnose a dead starter unless you have experience in the sector.
Failure of the starter shares similar characteristics with a completely drained battery or a malfunctioning alternator. The universal symptom of a bad starter is a screeching sound when trying to start the car. However, the screeching sound could be a sign of something else.
A bad starter can drain the battery if you attempt to crank over the engine for a long time. If you could start the engine earlier, it is essential to turn it off and follow these steps.
- You need to have a keen sense of hearing in this step. Turn over the engine, and if it fails to turn over, it could be that either the battery is drained or the starter could be faulty. A starter normally let out a hum followed by a click if it fails to start the engine. If you get the click sound, then you should know that there is a problem.
- The second step aims at ruling out the part of the battery failing to start the car. Therefore, open the hood and remove the battery terminals. You should remove the negative terminal followed by the positive. Reconnect the terminals, then start the car's headlights and cabin lights. If they are dim, then the battery is dead, but then the problem lies in the starter.
- Using a hammer or a wrench, lightly tap the sides of the starter. Try and starter the vehicle again, and if it fails, then you know the real problem. This form of maintenance is known as percussive maintenance.
How much is a starter battery?
There are several types of starter batteries that are currently available in the market. These batteries are made by manufacturers using different materials. Therefore, the prices of these batteries vary from one manufacturer to the other.
The different prices of these batteries on eBay are as follows:
- Mercedes Benz VW Starter Battery AGM 12V CRAFTER costs $99.90.
- Honda Car Engine Starter Battery costs $7.67.
- Exide Premium Carbon Boost EA1000 12V 100Ah costs $82.99.
- 096-100 Transit Battery 75Ah Fully Charged costs $44.99.
- Han kook MF60038 + Varta Replacement Car Battery costs $70.99.
- Mercedes Benz C W202 Starter Battery 12V/74AH costs $223.00.
- 096 Bosch S4008 Heavy Duty Starter Battery 12V 74Ah 680CCA 4 Y costs $74.50.
- Honda Accord Insight Car Engine Starter battery costs $7.99.
- Exide Equipment ES2400 12V 210AH Starter Battery En (A): 460 Navy Boat Caravan costs $533.69.
- LAND ROVER ENGINE STARTER CURRENT BATTERY LOOSE/W costs $7.79
Getting the best starter battery is not a joke. However, some batteries are designed for specific car brands. Also, the batteries meant for those other brands can work well in your car. Therefore, it is good to know the right starter battery for your car or any other machine.
The Starter batteries should not be used in machines that require a continuous supply of energy. It will drain the battery entirely and make it weak. It is good to check the battery frequently to ensure that you can use it for an extended period. The starter battery requires little maintenance practices that can be managed by everyone.
lithium-ion battery e-bike battery lithium battery