Lithium-ion batteries, or lithium cells, have become highly popular in the technology filled world we live in today. A plethora of electronic devices use these batteries, such as laptops. What makes this battery different from others is the fact that they are rechargeable, unlike the standard AAA batteries or something similar to that.
When it comes to shipping these batteries, that could be a bit risky and a tricky situation to handle. These batteries are highly flammable and can potentially explode if they overheat to an extreme. A fire caused by a lithium battery is difficult to extinguish, therefore, if a fire does occurs on a plane, then a major disaster could potentially happen.
Can You Ship A Laptop With A Lithium Battery?
Despite its flammable properties, it is possible to ship lithium batteries when proper care is taken. There are various guidelines that need to be followed when it comes to shipping these batteries. These guidelines are as follows:
1. All lithium batteries should be inside whatever device that they’re used for. Batteries cannot be shipped by themselves, unless you’ve made a certain arrangement with the courier that’s shipping the batteries.
2. In every parcel you ship, there should be maximum two lithium batteries inside, which is four lithium cells.
3. Since lithium batteries are extremely flammable, therefore every attempt to avoid and stop the batteries from overheating must be made. Hence, every device that has lithium batteries in it should be turned off. Also, you need to make sure that the ‘on’ switch is protected and won’t accidentally turn on. You can do that by using cardboard or electrical tape.
4. Make sure you follow IATA regulations when it comes to packaging. Do not ever place the lithium batteries close to any metal objects. Take precaution and cover every electrical terminal with an electrical tape as this will help prevent overheating.
5. Plus, make sure that you use a plastic bag to keep your device in. This will stop static interference plus act as another protection layer against any fire outbreak.
6. You should never ship a faulty lithium battery through courier as there is a lot of risk. This is seen as a crime and the culprit will have to pay a heavy fine.
These are the basic guidelines that need to be followed when it comes to shipping lithium batteries. However, certain countries might come with different regulations and might have their own specific requirements regarding the shipping of lithium batteries. Therefore, it is recommended to contact the customer services before you ship your batteries if you have any questions or doubts.
How Do You Ship A Laptop With A Lithium Battery?
With whatever you send through courier, it’s important to ensure that the shipment will safely reach its destination and survive the transportation. In order to ensure the safety of your package throughout its transport, you are required to safely and properly package your laptop which contains the lithium battery.
As mentioned above, it is important that your laptop, which contains the lithium battery, is powered off throughout its transport. This is done so the device won’t overheat, which can result in overheating of the battery and it could potentially explode.
You need to make sure that throughout its transport, there is no chance of the device turning on by itself or through any external force. Once your parcel is collected, it’s then taken to a depot or warehouse where it’s sorted. Throughout this process, your package must be covered and wrapped properly so it is able to endure any accidental drops or getting bumped with other parcels, etc. A parcel that’s packaged as properly as this will make sure that your laptop is secure during the transit; hence, there is no chance that it will turn on.
How Do You Protect Your Laptop’s Lithium Battery On A Plane?
Laptops that contain lithium batteries are among the common devices that get shipped every now and then. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure that the laptop isn’t able to move around throughout the transit. This is how batteries and laptops tend to get damaged. Shipping your laptop is an easy process. Whether you’re sending a laptop to someone else or shipping one to be repaired, the shipping process is effective and simple, regardless of its size.
First things first, in order to ship your laptop, it needs to be packaged the right way and according to all of the proper guidelines. Listed below are the steps that thoroughly explain how you can wrap up and package your laptop so it is ready to be shipped safely to its destination.
1. Firstly, you need scissors, tape, bubble wrap, a new box, corner protectors, and packaging chips. It should be noted that your laptop needs to be placed in an airtight, anti-static bag before shipping. A static discharge can potentially damage your laptop due to friction. Plus, an airtight bag will keep the laptop safe and protected from any kind of water damage.
2. Next, in order to support the edges and seams of the new box, place packaging tape in two layers. This will make sure that the box is secured.
3. Cover the bottom side of the box with two inches of packaging chips or bubble wrap in order to make a bed for the laptop.
4. Seal your laptop inside an airtight and anti-static bag. Next, cover it with two inches of bubble wrap. Use a lot of packaging tape in order to secure the package and make it tight. After that, place the corner protectors.
5. Place your laptop inside the box and use two inches of either packaging chips or bubble wrap to surround the laptop. Your laptop shouldn’t be touching the box’s inner walls and must be completely still.
6. Next, take the charger of the laptop and use bubble wrap to separately wrap it. Use packaging tape to secure it. Then place the charger either on to the side or on top of the laptop, but make sure that the charger isn’t able to touch or move the laptop itself. You can use a spare cardboard piece as a form of a partition inside the box and make a separate section for your laptop’s charger.
7. Finally, use a lot of packaging tape to secure your box. Place 3 layers of the tape down the box’s main flaps and repeat this process in a cross pattern again.
lithium-ion battery e-bike battery lithium battery