A button cell battery is the one that is used in wristwatches, digital clocks, hearing aids, and other small electronic devices. It is also known as a “coin cell.” A cell battery looks like?small, flat silver dials or cans, which vary in diameter from five to 25 mm in the diameter. They deliver power from one to five volts. These button cell batteries come in alkaline, silver, zinc-air, and lithium varieties. They are usually known as coin cells. They give long service life. They expand over a year when used continuously in a wristwatch. They generally have a long life and have low self-discharge. The button batteries come in various diameter sizes. For example, the battery CR2032, that is made up of Lithium with a 20mm diameter and 3.2 mm height. Battery CR2025 is made up of Lithium with a 20mm diameter and 2.5 mm in height. Battery SR516 is made up of silver with 5.8 mm in diameter and 1.6 mm in height. LR1154 and SR1154 are alkaline and silver batteries with 11.6 mm diameter and 5.4 mm in height. For this size, codes LR44 or SR44 are used, respectively.
The button cell batteries vary in the composition they are made up of. The electrodes, electrolytes, and voltages also vary. Some standard batteries are-
- Alkaline batteries- These batteries have the letter code L. Their positive electrode is made up of Manganese Dioxide, and the Negative electrode is made up of Zinc. Alkali acts as the electrolyte. They have a voltage of Nominal and End-point voltage of 1.5V and 1.0V, respectively.
- Silver batteries-These batteries are given the letter code S. They have Silver oxide and Zinc as positive and negative electrodes, respectively. Alkali acts as an electrolyte with 1.55V and 1.2V as Nominal voltage and End-point voltage, respectively.
- lithium batteries- With the letter code C, their positive electrode is made up of Manganese Dioxide, whereas Lithium is the negative electrode. They have organic electrolytes. Their Nominal voltage and End-point voltage is 3V and 2.0V, respectively.
- Zinc-air Batteries- The letter code of Zinc-air batteries is P. The positive electrode is off oxygen, and the negative electrode is of Zinc. Alkali acts as the electrolyte. These batteries have 1.4V as nominal voltage and 1.2V as End-point voltage.
What is the smallest button cell battery?
I talked about a standard battery of 3V; it has to be a CR1216 battery. It is a lithium coin cell battery. It is of diameter 12 mm and has a height of 1.6 mm. However, one smaller battery is available than a standard CR1216, 3V battery; it is an SR512SW battery. It is made up of silver oxide. It comes with a height of 1.25 mm and a diameter of 5.8 mm. They are of 1.55 volts. One thing which has to be kept in mind is that these miniature batteries have minimal capacities. A typical CR1216 cell has a power of about 25mAh. And if two SR512SW cells are combined, they have a power of the only 6mAh. You can compare it with a smartphone, which has a power of about 3000mAh. Hence, they should always and could only be used in minimal and low power applications such as watches, toys, calculators, thermometers, and more.
What is the different usage of button cell batteries with different sizes?
Use of CR2032 batteries- These batteries are made up of Lithium. They are known for producing more efficient and stable power. They are suitable for usage in small electronic devices.
- In electronic motherboards-? A motherboard is one of the most important parts of a computer. These motherboards use these lithium cells as their primary source of power. They allow these motherboards to drive power from them, making them one of the most integral parts of the computer.
- In-car remote controls- Many car keys have a remote control, which is built-in. These remote controls are used for opening and closing the gates and the back trunks of the car. They are used to lock and unlock the vehicles and are used in alarms to locate the car. Since these batteries have a long life, they are used in these remotes and can be used for three to four years without being replaced.
- In banking card readers-? With the evolving technology, electronic devices are getting smaller in sizes day by day. It is possible because we have such small batteries in the market. One such example is the portable banking card reader. They have turned into so small that they can now be fitted in your pockets.
- Medical Devices- As the world is developing, the health of people is deteriorating. Problems and diseases like diabetes, high and low blood pressure, etc. are more han common today. They need to be maintained, and hence, you need to keep a check on them regularly. As earlier, the devices used to measure them were not compact; it was necessary to regularly visit the hospital. Nowadays, all these devices can be used at home, and these things can be measured. These devices use these batteries.
- Toys- Toys for kids are no longer the old soft toys. Their toys are now digital and use batteries in them. These batteries are CR2032 batteries.
Use of CR2025 batteries-
The CR2025 batteries are generally used in the following devices-
- Pocket calculators
- Automobile keyless entry transmitters
- Hearing aids
Use of LR1154 batteries-
These batteries are generally used in the following devices-
- Small radios
- Cameras and such? other low drain equipment
The button cell batteries, or the coin cell batteries, are commonly known as having extremely less power, making them suitable for equipment that needs a small amount of power to operate. However, these batteries have good life tenure and can be used for around 2-3 years. They are compatible with devices like watches, thermometers, toys, and many more small electronic devices. They are made up of different chemicals and come in different sizes.
lithium-ion battery e-bike battery lithium battery